Salutations!

Welcome and thank you for visiting. Feel free to share your thoughts by leaving a note. Please be kind and respectful. I bruise easily.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

365-Day Challenge: A Photo Per Day


In September of last year, I committed to a 30-Day Challenge: A Photo Per Day project, inspired by a TED talk by Matt Cutts on "Try[ing] Something New for 30 Days."  Looking back, it was quite a fun exercise to diligently post one snapshot on my Facebook page each day, even on those days when not much happened and I had to think creatively or scrounge up something random -- like the time I featured my often overlooked desk lamp with the beaded periwinkle lamp shade, which I appreciated a bit more afterwards.


Yesterday, I was similarly inspired by this post on the BBC homepage, "Can filming one second of every day change your life?" about a guy named Cesar Kuriyama who recorded a 1-second glimpse of his life each day in 2012.  I was especially struck by his parting line in the clip, "Trying to make the best movie possible is making me live the best life possible," which so wonderfully articulated the feeling that I had during my own 30-Day Challenge.  At the time, I noticed that I seemed to live each day a little more deliberately, knowing that at some point, I was going to capture a representative snapshot from it.  


Kuriyama has decided to continue his video project way beyond a year.  As for me, I'm going to try it for 2013, with a combination of video and photos, and see where it takes me.  Eager to see what the year-end compilation might look like...!


__________

Note about the photo: The first entry in my 30-Day Challenge, with the caption, "Hand-carved giraffes from Kenya.  New additions to our chopstick collection from Camille, who just returned from Nairobi."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool... so you are going to take a photo or a video clip each day. are you going to post it here? and start weaving a story? nice :)

-a

Jen(n) said...

I really enjoyed by 90 photos in 90 days project too! On days when I had no other interesting subjects in mind and felt stuck, I finally played with the B&W settings and learned a ton about my camera. It was great fun. Looking forward to your output. :)