Salutations!

Welcome and thank you for visiting. Feel free to share your thoughts by leaving a note. Please be kind and respectful. I bruise easily.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Exploring SF: Sutro Heights at Land’s End


I felt an almost instant affinity to our San Francisco City Guides lead, Maureen, who bore an uncanny resemblance to my mother.  “It’s white Mum,” I thought to myself, bemused, as I set forth after her with five other strangers from the pair of stone lions that marked the Point Lobos & 48th Avenues meeting spot and the entrance to the former Sutro Heights Estate.  We loosely fell into a 2-row formation behind our guide that reminded me of the walking scene in my guy’s Reservoir Dogs poster.

This was my first tour with the non-profit group, and it certainly satisfied my expectations, no doubt enhanced by the clear and sunny sky on this winter’s day.  Each stop on our almost 2-hour jaunt revealed fascinating bits of history and new perspectives of this scenic coastal city that I now call home.  This particular outing gave me a glimpse into the life of Adolph Sutro, the adventurous Prussian millionaire who owned 1/12th of property in San Francisco in the late 1800s, served as the 24th mayor of the city, and is the namesake of several landmarks in the area – including Sutro Sam, the river otter who has taken up residence in the brackish ruins of Sutro Baths

Maureen wrapped up our informative expedition with a captivating view of the Golden Gate along the Land End’s trail.  I hear that City Guides offers over 60 tours around town.  Let's see,… where to next?    
View of the Golden Gate from Land's End Trail.  
(Source: Squeaks Photography)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

such an unfortunate name... adolph... now to take a dip in the baths with sam :) -a